Thursday, December 20, 2007

Peace

I wonder how Mary, the mother of Jesus felt as she was told of her magnificent role in our Father's plan. She must have been overwhelmed with emotion and the reality of what her calling would bring. And in a way, I think all mothers go through the same emotions. Excitement and a deep sense of gratitude for the ability to carry a precious child of God. Joy in pondering the memories she will have of her child growing and how she will teach and love and watch as that child learns to walk and to read and to love others. But not many mothers think about the emotions that come should one of their children pass away. The heartache Mary must have felt knowing that her son, Jesus, the Son of God, the Savior of the world would one day die was surely immense. But knowing of His divine role for each of us on this earth, and knowing His sacrifice was one of love, Mary must have been given peace. The kind of peace that "passeth all understanding".

It is that same peace that came to us as we welcomed our daughter, Lucy Mae Davis, to this earth and to our family on December 10th. And it was that same peace that allowed us to say goodbye to her. Her spirit graced our lives for only an hour, but that was all we asked for, and all we needed. Lucy's spirit touched so many, and has given us the opportunity to appreciate not only the sacrifice of Mary, but the sacrifice of our Father in Heaven who allowed his Son to suffer and die that we could all return to live with him.

Amidst all the emotions of this time comes a great peace. It is a peace difficult to describe to those who haven't experienced it. One friend asked me if I thought I'd see Lucy again. And I was able to say without a doubt that I know I'll see her again! As I walked away from the funeral service at the cemetery and looked one last time at Lucy's small casket I realized I really do have a testimony of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Lucy's small three pound seven ounce body was there, but it was okay because she wasn't there. I anxiously await the time when I will be able to tell her how much I love her, and to thank her for whispering of that sweet peace that is beyond my comprehension, that peace that comes from the Prince of Peace.

11 comments:

Sylvia said...

Lish, I love you!!! Thanks for this beautiful post. Love, sylv

Holly said...

You're in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything over the holidays, we'll be here! Love, the beals

Rebeccah Mildenstein said...

I was sitting in my gospel principles class on Sunday thinking of you and Jacob. We were talking about the millennium and I thought of your words of teaching her to dance someday. I never fully understood all that we have to look forward to when the millennium comes until Sunday. Your post of Lucy is perfect and beautiful. She is so lucky to have you two as her parents. Thank you once again for sharing all you have. It is an inspiration and a reminder to us that enduring to the end is worth it. We love you!

Ie Li said...

Alicia, you are such an example of faith. I know you'll see Lucy again too and I hope I get to meet her. I love you.

ladyshanae said...

You are such an amazing, strong, spiritual example and I am glad to know you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony of our Savior. Your words touched me so much.

*hugs*

~Shanae

Merianne said...

I'm sitting here at work reading your post as tears are rolling down my cheeks. Your post sounds like something you'd read in the Ensign. I admire both you and Jacob for your strength!

Kids in the Kong said...

While I can’t hardly imagine the emotional rollercoaster that you are going through, I am humbled by your strength. Your testimony of the Savior radiates through everything that you do and inspires others to draw closer to the Lord. Thank you for being such a remarkable example.

Jaclyn said...

Your faith exceeds so many and I too know that you will see her again. As I read this entry, I can't help but feel that you really do have peace in your heart. What a wonderful Christmas gift Lucy has given to you - to gain this realization of peace. The gift of a strengthened testimony and a renewed eternal perspective.

{Erica} said...

Alicia,
You are such a wonderful example...always have been, always will be. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you these last few months and your little Lucy has touched many, even in the short time she has been on this earth. Merry Christmas to you and your little family.

Love you,
Erica and family

Anonymous said...

I was an eyewitness to the miracle of Lucy's short life, but you have expressed that brief hour and your sweet faith in profound terms. The events of December 10 will always be part of my Christmas memories.
Love,
Patty

Eliza said...

You are so right; being a mother brings so much intensity into life, both happy and sad. I know you will see little Lucy Mae again also. What a beautiful and insightful post. Matt and I have been thinking often of you and your family.