Monday, October 6, 2008

Spill Your Beans


All of you reading my blog have such great-looking homes - admit it!  So, I need your help.  I've got a house to decorate, and if you all (no I haven't gotten into the "ya'll" yet) have any suggestions for creating a cute boy's bedroom or living room, or whatever let me know.  What are your favorite home decor websites/magazines?  I need your input!

13 comments:

Sara said...

Most people around here use pottery barn(expensive)or target (affordable and pretty cute knock offs) as their inspirations. I have also gleaned ideas from JCPenney. The girls' room in our house is from JCP and our boys room looks a little like pottery barn, but not so over-the-top expensive. The key to having a nice looking room is to make it personal with their names and places to put special things like shelves or bulletin boards, and add 3 things that match, whether it's a bedspread, rug and curtains or bedspread, picture and toybox, for example. Good decor will always have 3 or 5 of something coordinating....and kids love color. One idea is to ask them what their absolute favorite thing is, whether it's a toy or a hobby and build around that special thing. Having never seen pictures of your new house (hint) that's about what I can offer! Good luck!

Sylvia said...

I have no clue but I wanted to tell you I miss you!!!!

Ie Li said...

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh has some cute nursery tours.

I do spend some time online looking at fabrics and letting the fabrics inspire me.

I'll send more info along as I come across stuff that I like.

Maria said...

Everybody says Pottery Barn is their inspiration. I have pretty picky kids, so they dictate to ME what is acceptable :)
Hope you're doing well!

Heather said...

Oh there are SO many! Pottery Barn Kids is good, but expensive sometimes. The Company Store (only online) is good. Fawn and Forest is awesome. Also, if you go to tangledandtrue.com (there's a link on my blog) there are TONS of neat ads for different kids websites. Hope this helps! Love, Heather

Sylvia said...

Lish, you know I love you, no matter what stupid political blogs I write!!! Just wanted to let you know.... :)

Rachel EM said...

I'm a fan of IKEA's kid stuff. They have huge leaves you can attach to the ceiling for a jungle, and dome canopies to put over a kid's bed.

Theme rooms for kids always are my favorite. I can't wait till I have a little boy and I can deck his room out in space stuff. Rocket ships, galaxies, stars, and moon stuff, etc. Try the Wasatch thing--paint a giant sun on the wall and hang planets from the ceiling going away from it.

I thought you had a "travel" themed room--which, to be honest, is the coolest, in my opinion. Paint a giant road sign on the wall if you want.

Again, I have no children, and I have no home. Plotting and browsing these things is just a hobby of mine. (I'm a sucker for "Traditional Home" magazine.) So you can do what you like with my advice, but I only have one suggestion:

BE BOLD, and DO NOT FEAR COLOR.

They're kids, remember. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. Paint the rooms a zongy color is my suggestion. That'll make it stand out faster than the Pottery-barnest furniture ever could.


Try these links:

http://www.hgtv.com/dc-design-childrens/10-themed-bedrooms-for-kids/pictures/page-4.html

http://www.wallnutz.com/index.html

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/pictures-of-kids-rooms/page6.html

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/kids-rooms/kids-rooms/colorfully-painted-kids-room-walls/?page=1

(one of these has a giant compass rose on the ceiling--AWESOME)

...and I don't think this "comment" could have been any longer, do you?

Alicia said...

Actually yeah, I've seen some pretty long-winded blogs lately. Yours is JUST RIGHT!

Anonymous said...

I just paint every room some shade of yellow and hope for the best!

Unknown said...

HGTV is your friend. Next to that would be the DIY channel and TLC. We got our color sense and design ideas from watching shows like Divine Design (that woman is amazing), Design on a Dime, While You Were Out and Trading Spaces.

You can redecorate a room or your whole house for a lot less than you'd think.

Sara said...

Alicia,
I just went to www.wallnutz.com today because your friend Rachel recommended it. WOW! I was able to order some thing for the children's bedrooms, accenting what they like right now for a reasonable price. MANY THANKS to Rachel for her sleuthing lead! Sara

Nancy Sabina said...

My fav decorating blog is decor8blog.com. She's inspired me several times. But my biggest piece of advice is that whatever color you're thinking of painting - go two shades lighter and you'll be happier.

Nancy Sabina said...

Oh, and for bedspreads and some accessories try Brylanehome.com and domestications.com - crazy good prices but only mildly acceptable quality.